Saturday, July 19, 2008

3 weeks down, 9 to go...

well, my time here in madison is really flying by. not good...i have lots of things that i need (WANT) to do before sept. 19. so far, i really haven't ventured very far outside of the city. but i have plans to make it to some area lakes/state parks, chicago, wisconsin dells (wooo waterparks!), and milwaukee...better get on that asap!!

i have officially disharged all of my patients from ot, and look forward to getting new people on monday. no big breakthroughs yet, although i did get my patient who is globally aphasic to participate during my last two treatment sessions with her (after 2 1/2 weeks with very little interraction). she actually seemed to be enjoying my company, laughing and smiling (maybe she was laughing at me). we actually got into a non-verbal, stubborn fight one afternoon. she was trying to cheat during treatment...it was quite hilarious, neither one of us was going to back down. however, in the end i let her win...although i tried to tell her that she was only hurting herself in the long run. maybe that's why she was laughing at me, can you imagine me lecturing 70, 80, and 90 year olds about what is good for them?

one of my patients tried to trick me into letting her out of treatment by wasting time, asking in depth questions about my education and just which classes had been on my college schedule for the past 6 years. she was very disappointed when i told her that she should be able to talk and work at the same time...HILARIOUS! as soon as i told her that, she had no more curiousities about my education...or life, for that matter. she just worked in silence. i actually really need to be careful not to talk too much. i find myself rambling on and on to my patients, and then realize that we might not be doing everything that we're supposed to. but people have such interresting lives, how can i be expected to sit in silence?? i've been "thinking" about setting up a conversational ot hour, one in which i could sit with the patients and talk about their/my life. you know, check their cognitive abilities...it's really not that far off.

anyway, i guess i'd better go clean. my apartment is a scary mess by the weekend because i am just WAY TOO TIRED to clean on weeknights!!

love to all.
tip of the day...walk around barefoot, you'll feel much better. i tried it earlier, no one wears shoes in madison.

No comments: